In-vitro fertilization (IVF) fertility procedures have become more common and easy to perform these days. It is the most common and effective type of assisted reproductive technology (ART) used to help women become pregnant. But just like any other medical procedure, IVF treatment in India requires the necessity of undergoing healthy practices both before and after the IVF process. So, what are the dos and don’ts that need to be followed after IVF? Safety Precautions to take after the course of IVF treatment? Let’s begin right away!
In the world of infertility, in vitro fertilization (IVF) can be the first and most successful option for many couples who battle infertility, or for whom traditional conception and pregnancy aren’t an option. During IVF procedure in India, mature eggs are collected from ovaries and then fertilized by sperm in a lab, the procedure can be done using your own eggs and your partner’s sperm or it may involve eggs, sperm, or embryos from a known or anonymous donor.
An IVF procedure is a life-changing moment and a big experience in the life of an infertile couple and for the ‘want to be’ parents and there are few things to keep in mind and that should be avoided immediately after undergoing the IVF treatment, for a successful IVF cycle.
Get Free Consultation
Connecting you with trusted infertility specialists!
Precautions after Undergoing IVF -
- Healthy Diet – Foods play a crucial role both before and after the procedure of IVF. Ultimately, the best dietary option before and after IVF treatment is to eat as if you are already pregnant. It’s best to avoid alcohol, soda, processed foods, processed meals, junk food, fish with high mercury content, caffeine as much as possible. Drink plenty of to maintain circulation, metabolism, and digestion, and don’t forget to incorporate fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, sprouts, and broccoli into your IVF diet plan, as they are an excellent source of fiber, iron, and antioxidants.
Note: It’s always a good idea to check with your IVF specialist in India before taking any kind of food supplements and before making any drastic diet change.
- Bed Rest /Quality Sleep – Proper sleep and bed rest are advised to the patient after IVF, to give adequate rest to their body, as for IVF success and effective results, getting sufficient sleep and bed rest is paramount. It is important to rejuvenate your body after every medical treatment and the same goes for IVF. Try to relax as much as possible and take plenty of naps along with eight hours of sleep. Patients can resume routine activities typically after 48 hours and strict bed rest is not needed.
- Avoid excessive heat/ temperatures – Say no to hot baths, hot tubs, sunbaths, steaming, and saunas, and don’t do vigorous exercise because it may elevate your average body temperature and can increase chances of miscarriage and other fertility-related risks that can cause unnecessary complications which can be avoided. Keeping your body level at a normal level is advisable for embryo implantation and make sure to use your common sense and be sensible when it comes to overexposure to temperatures.
- Reduce your stress and anxiety – Find ways to reduce your levels of stress before, during, and after your IVF treatment process via practicing mindfulness meditation, walking, expressive writing about your IVF journey, Give your body and mind a break from unhealthy thoughts, you can also take help from a fertility specialist and seek IVF consultation to feel acknowledged and heard. Keep in mind that your baby’s health has a lot to do with your physical and mental health.
- Sufficient amount of workout is required as a precaution after IVF – Physical activity is also an important aspect of post –IVF care, but heavy workout/exercise should be avoided immediately after going through IVF pregnancy, for example: avoid heavy lifting, swimming, tough household work, etc. You can start with gentle exercise that may help you cope and relax. Doing light stretching, warm-up exercises can make you feel refreshed and moving, just don’t force yourself to exercise when you don’t feel up to your usual exercise activities, listen to your body and your IVF Clinic in India for specific advice.
- Avoid indulging yourself in sexual intercourse- Refrain from sexual intercourse until the pregnancy test/ pregnancy is established. As vaginal intercourse can trigger uterine contractions, could lead to vaginal infection or enlarged ovaries, so it is ideally recommended to wait after you are just done with your IVF. Your doctor will instruct you as to the amount of time you will be on the inactive list. If you are feeling uncomfortable or sore after the procedure, it’s sensible to avoid sex for a certain amount of time, the key is to listen to your body
Note: Some doctors think it’s fine and even recommend sex after IVF, but some doctors are unsure about having sexual intercourse after IVF, as they are concerned that sex may lead to infection or interfere with embryo implantation.
- Only take those medicines as prescribed by your doctor if any – You definitely don’t want to abandon taking your medications (if any prescribed) after your IVF. But keep in mind to avoid taking any medications without talking to your doctor first.
If a medication is given to you for taking after IVF, there must be a reason attached to it, so keep taking it until you’re told to stop. Remember that even a single change in the prescribed medication can lead to serious effects or it may even cause a failed IVF attempt/ cycle. So, it is unacceptable to prescribe them yourself without consulting a doctor.
- Organization is everything – In-vitro fertilization (IVF) entails so many moving parts- appointments, scans, medications, aftercare, etc. It can be a tough task to track it all without a proper organizational plan. To let you know what you need to do each day, before, during, and after your IVF cycle, your organizational skills can come into play to preserve your sanity and make things easier in a stressful time.
You can create a daily schedule calendar for all your important dates, medications, appointments, meal plans, etc. Being organized will ease your mind and will free you up from unwanted stress and we all know that how important it is to maintain your stress levels in all stages of your IVF cycle.
- Find Support & Follow instructions: Don’t disregard or take advice lightly from your IVF expert, as they are more knowledgeable and know the process in and out, listen carefully to them, do your own research correctly and also keep updating your doctor if you are facing any irrelevant symptoms.
If you want your IVF procedure to succeed, you and your partner both have to take maximum precautions you can do during and after the treatment. For it, both partners should be in proper physical, mental and emotional state and well-being. Both partners should adopt a healthy sleep pattern, healthy balanced diet, and exercise in moderation, and should be willing to undergo psychological counseling when needed, to deal with stress via proper methods/techniques, and remember to don’t stress yourself too much thinking of the outcome, just go with the flow and remain realistic.
Post -IVF Checklist
It is completely normal to be bothered about playing your part right, but we believe it’s even better to be aware than to overthink and cause stress when thinking about IVF. Keep reading this to increase your chances of pregnancy via IVF.
- A positive environment and a happy space will keep your hormones and other bodily functions normal which will increase the chances of your embryo to have normal development. So, it is crucial to not underestimate the importance of a good space and vibe for your IVF success.
- Overexerting your body is never a good idea, as extreme physical activity or any kind of heavy lifting right after your IVF treatment can be disadvantageous at this point. Avoid high-impact aerobics, cycling, racquet games, etc. The best choice is to follow your normal routine activity whilst keeping in mind to not overexert your body. Keep moving but take it easy, you can still get the endorphins and movement you need without taxing your body.
- Practice good personal hygiene and avoid bloating after IVF by consuming water and other alternatives such as coconut water, liquid IV, or drinks that are low in sugar. Paying attention to your personal hygiene habits may help you to feel good about yourself and is one of the most effective ways to protect yourself from bacterial infections.
- Always feel free to ask questions to your doctor about the right time to start doing your high-intensity fitness routine, different kinds of foods to incorporate after your IVF specific to your situation, lifestyle regime, your supplement query, etc. Keep in mind which type of questions you would like to discuss and talk about your problems and expectations frankly with your best fertility doctor in Mumbai in order to feel empowered.
A word from Velar Health:
Do as much research as you can from credible sources and remember that it is never a bad idea to set up a fertility consultation for you to know about what’s going on exactly and what you can do to avoid something related to in-vitro fertilization going wrong. Your best IVF clinic in India and your doctor is the number one source for any IVF-related questions and concerns you may have.
Get Free Consultation
Connecting you with trusted infertility specialists!